PRESS and Kindergarten

Posted by Carol Tornquist
  • Posted on 09/19/17 - 3:04 p.m.

Anyone used PRESS  in Kindergarten?  We have used Early Reading Intervention(ERI) from Scott Foresman Company.  I was wondering how you have used PRESS with Kinders or could one combine the two by doing the PA intervention from PRESS and then do some of the ERI materials?  

0 users found this helpful. Do you?

• Posted on 09/21/17 - 11:50 a.m.

I am interested in this as well.  We will start kindergarten interventions in October and I was planning on using the PA interventions.  We have a 30 minute intervention time at each grade level K-4.

• Posted on 09/22/17 - 4:01 p.m.
  • 1 revision
  • Last Edited 09/22/17 - 4:01 p.m.

Kari,

I would suggest that you consider partnering a phonemic awareness intervention with phonics 1 if you have a 30 minute time slot. You also could consider partnering phonemic awareness with vocabulary depending on the students' needs.

Please let the group know if you'd like more support or additional ideas.

Kathy

• Posted on 09/22/17 - 4:03 p.m.

Carol,

I don't know ERI very well, but depending on time, you could consider partnering that intervention with a phonemic awareness intervention for kindergarten students if data demonstrates the need for both interventions.

Please let the group know if you'd like more support or additional ideas to consider

Kathy

• Posted on 09/23/17 - 2:03 p.m.

Yes, we use PRESS with our kindergarten students.  We start with PA 1 as a classwide intervention.  It is a short intervention and is a great way to start the school year.  So after about 10-12 days, our teachers gave the students the Phonemic Awareness Assessment to see shat they need next.  We also screen our students with FAST BRIDGE ( LSF,LNF, OS, CP) 

After looking at all our data we break our students up into intervention groups. We have an intervention time in kindergarten that is 20mins.  We have used PA1 and P1 together as well. 

These are great interventions for kindergarten students. 

Kay

• Posted on 09/28/17 - 4:32 p.m.

Thank you! 

• Page 1 of 1
Replying as Guest