Fluency Norms

Posted by Michele Chapin (Premium User)
  • Posted on 09/20/17 - 11:23 a.m.

I am curious as to what norms everyone is using for fluency. We use FAST right now but their norms are different than Dibels, AIMS, etc. I am curious as to what other districts are happy with.

0 users found this helpful. Do you?

• Posted on 09/20/17 - 11:47 a.m.

We use the Fastbridge(FAST) norms and have been happy with them. This is our 2nd year using Fastbridge in grades k-6, our third year in grades k-1.

• Posted on 09/21/17 - 11:48 a.m.

We use the FASTbridge norms too and have been fine with them.  This is our 2nd year using FAST K-4.

• Posted on 09/22/17 - 1:44 p.m.

We use the FASTBridge norms for K and 1st.  We use TIES norms for 2-5.  This is our first year for 1st grade FASTBridge norms.  Do you use the Sentence Reading norms for Winter of 1st grade or do you use the CBM norms for 1st grade.   The Sentence Reading norm for WINTER is 51 words per minute and the CBM norm is 73 words per minute.  This is a huge difference.  Any suggestions? 

• Posted on 09/23/17 - 2:44 p.m.

You have asked an intriguing question.

We do the same at our school too.  I'm curious to know from FAST why the scores are so different? Also, what is really different between these two assessments? Do you know if students score very differently on the sentence reading than the CBM reading?  I am going to do more research on this and get back to you when I find out.  

Thanks, Kay 

• Posted on 09/25/17 - 7:51 a.m.
  • 1 revision
  • Last Edited 09/25/17 - 7:51 a.m.

Kay,

I have not used the Fast CBM before.  I sent an email to FAST and ask that which we should use.  Just noticed that the norms for CBM Winter are actually 43.  The Spring is 71.  

• Posted on 09/28/17 - 4:42 p.m.

We use the winter CBM. I feel it is the same type of thing, just that the students have a whole page with no pictures.  By using the sentence reading assessment in the fall it is not so overwhelming for those students. they seem to be reading for the CBMR in the winter assessment window. Remember that the knowledge base in the Fastbridge program has a lot of information in it and you may find answers to your questions there. Maybe you already know that. Just thought I'd add that. :)

• Posted on 09/29/17 - 1:49 p.m.

Carol,

I sent FASTBridge an email, but have not heard back from them.  I forgot about the Knowledge Base".  Thanks for the reminder.

Angela

• Posted on 10/05/17 - 10:48 a.m.

Hello group,

Thank you for this thoughtful conversation. Norms can be quite confusing. As a simple explanation, each company (Dibels, FastBridge, AimsWeb) creates norms based on their assessment probes. I am glad that some of you are reaching out to FastBridge to learn more. That is always what I advise people to do. It's important to know how they developed the target scores and what those target scores are aligned with.

As I was doing a little searching for norm development for screening measures, I  came across this power point that was presented by Jan Hasbrouck at a conference this year. It provides a little overview of screening data that you might find helpful.

http://www.cdl.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Hasbrouck-An-Update-Oral_Reading.pdf

• Page 1 of 1
Replying as Guest