Starting Interventions

Posted by Michele Chapin (Premium User)
  • Posted on 09/20/17 - 11:24 a.m.

When do your schools start formal interventions? Our teachers want to start them the first week of school using Spring data. Does anyone else do this?  What are your timeframes for getting interventions going?

0 users found this helpful. Do you?

• Posted on 09/20/17 - 11:45 a.m.

We do not start until we have finished fall benchmarks.  Then from that data we assess who are our tier 2 students and from that we assess them using the PRESS inventory.  So we are hoping to start the last week in Sept or the first week in October.  Our principal is behind us on that.  We use Fastbridge as our assessment gathering system and we have quite a few students to get to, so it does take awhile.  

• Posted on 09/22/17 - 3:58 p.m.

Great question Michele and thanks for sharing your plan Carol.

I am currently working with a school that is getting interventions up and running next week. They just wrapped up their screening assessments and wanted to begin interventions as soon as possible. They had an assessment window for their staff, so I think that helped to keep that moving along.

Would love to hear more from others when you have the time to share.

-Kathy

Michele Chapin (Premium User)
  • Posted on 09/25/17 - 9:48 a.m.

I agree with Carol's plan. The hard part is getting our staff to agree with that. They want interventions to start the first week of school even though we will start screening our students the 2nd or 3rd week of school. 

How did you get the buy-in for this Carol?

• Posted on 09/28/17 - 4:38 p.m.

Our core curriculum is Benchmark Literacy and it allows for a 30 day window for teachers to get their reading groups  up and running.  Each day they teach a new skill to their classes.  So it fits very well with us getting the time we need to assess.  In fact, tomorrow(Friday the 29) we have a 2 hour late start and are having a whole group PLC and the Title staff will get to share about PRESS and the other interventions that we are going to use this year.  Plus we will get time to talk more to our teachers about the data we have collected.  It will give them even more info about their students. I know coming from being a classroom teacher, that we did not get the time to look enough at data.  So I am excited that we get to do this tomorrow. 

• Page 1 of 1
Replying as Guest