Intervention Group Size

Posted by Michele Chapin (Premium User)
  • Posted on 11/29/17 - 12:31 p.m.

How big are your intervention groups?  The groups I am having led by paraprofessionals I like to keep at 4 or less. The groups with licensed teachers are typically at 6.  When I look at some of our groups I feel I need a few groups with only 2 students due to higher needs both academically and behaviorally. I don't have the support from staff on this. What are others doing?  

0 users found this helpful. Do you?

• Posted on 11/30/17 - 8:36 a.m.

Hi Michelle, 

This would be a great question to bring up with others next Friday. Group sizes can vary quite a bit based on need. For example, if a student would benefit from a smaller group size based on academic needs or behavior needs, then it would a good decision to adjust the size to benefit everyone in the group. Also, it's helpful to use data to determine if the group size might be impacting growth. If little to no growth is occurring, you could observe the group to see if all are engaged and participating in the activity. Ideally, we encourage group sizes of 1-4 students, but we realize there are situations where a group size might need to be larger. With larger group sizes it's important to ensure that all students are receiving specific feedback and all are engaged and participating. 

Hope that helps.

-Kathy

• Posted on 12/04/17 - 8:32 a.m.

I have some teachers arguing with me having smaller groups then they do.  Most get it though, which is awesome!  I just keep taking the same size for the one grade and am hoping winter data shows that we need to make it smaller.  In most grades, they are awesome about having me work with less than four kids.  In 6th I only work with one and 3rd I only work with two!  It's great to have their support!  I think you really need your principal's support and a couple other teachers who get it!  

• Posted on 12/04/17 - 8:37 a.m.

Hi Michelle, 

We have kept our intervention group size generally at 3 students.  Depending on student needs, we have had 1 student in a group. Once in a while a group may have 4 students but this is rare.  We often find that it is more challenging for teachers and/or Paraprofessionals to provide sufficient feedback to students when groups get higher than 3 or 4.  

Thanks, 

Beth~

• Posted on 12/06/17 - 1:31 p.m.

From one of my teachers.....Angela:  My resource groups are anywhere from 6 to 8.  Inside that group most students are on a different intervention.  Sometimes I luck out and will have two students in the same intervention.  My students complete stations during the reading time.  

Station ideas

-intervention with Watters

-MobyMax on computer

-journal time

-spelling time

-silent reading time

-Dolch word practice

The stations last anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes.  Students rotate through the stations.  On Wednesday I progress monitor and that becomes a station.

• Posted on 12/06/17 - 3:11 p.m.

What is Watters?  Marie

• Page 1 of 1
Replying as Guest