1st Grade Criteria for Phonics Classwide Intervention

Posted by Angela Nourse
  • Posted on 01/08/18 - 3:30 p.m.

We are currently assessing FastBridge nonsense words and FastBridge CBM readings on our 1st graders.  Next week we will be helping the teachers determine if they need a classwide intervention.  In the fall we used nonsense words to help determine if a phonics intervention was needed.  Now that we are using both nonsense words and CBMs, what do you use to determine a phonics classwide intervention?  Do you use nonsense words or 93% accuracy on the CBM? 

0 users found this helpful. Do you?

• Posted on 01/22/18 - 2:26 p.m.

What have others used in 1st grade at this time of the year to determine the need for classwide interventions?

I'll share just a few thoughts to consider. Fortunately, nonsense words and the accuracy data point will both tell you if there is a decoding need. If NWF is low, you will want to address CVC words. If NWF is on track, then it is a good idea to look at the accuracy column and words read correct column. The challenge with using the 93% accuracy column is you don't quite know what to specifically address in decoding.  You might want to pick a decoding skill that that was previously taught in the fall and you have data to demonstrate the need. No matter what you use to make the initial decision, make sure your pre and post measures are the same type of assessment (NWF or ORF).

Would love to hear thoughts from others.

-Kathy

• Posted on 02/04/18 - 9 p.m.

I am hoping that we can discuss this on the 12th.  I have some of those same questions.  I was stuck wondering if a first grade room was low on NWF, which phonics skill does one use for the intervention?  You could have many different skills in that room.  So far. I decided to look at the CBM score and have them use the supported cloze intervention. The manual did say and/or.  But would love some clarification on this. 

• Page 1 of 1
Replying as Guest