Progress Monitoring

Posted by Ryan Higbea
  • Posted on 11/18/16 - 12:40 p.m.

Imagine I've got a third grader who is working on fluency in a Tier-II intervention. He independently reads at a first grade reading level, but I'm working w/ him on fluency (he doesn't have any phonics issues). During the intervention, I've working on fluency w/ G1 passages.

Which grade-level passage should I give him for a general outcome measure?

What grade-level passage should I give him as a skill measure?

0 users found this helpful. Do you?

• Posted on 12/05/16 - 3:31 p.m.

I'm not an expert on this, but here's my two cents...

Did you use the Decoding Inventory for this child?  If so, how did he do?  The reason I'm asking is because I'm surprised he wouldn't have any phonics issues, yet his instructional level is two years below grade level.  The Decoding Inventory will give you this information.  Also, what did you use to determine his instructional level?

If he appears to have all of the areas of the Decoding Inventory, I would do a couple grade level running records.  -->If wcpm is the issue, I would do my instruction, as well as progress monitoring on grade level.  -->If comprehension is the issue, go back and teach comprehension strategies with grade level text.

Sorry so many questions, just trying to find an answer for you =)

• Posted on 12/21/16 - 11:48 a.m.

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for your ideas.

You and I are on the same page. I've talked w/ some teachers who are working w/ students on fluency, but they report students are instructionally reading at a much lower level than grade level. Like you, I'm confused by this because if there isn't a decoding issue, why are they reading at a much lower level than grade level? If it is a phonics/decoding issue, then the kid shouldn't be in a fluency intervention!!

rdh

• Page 1 of 1
Replying as Guest